Guide for a day
Join a group tour
Havana's Jewish Heritage
Delve into the history of Jewish immigrants who moved to Cuba in the early 20th century, 1920's & 1930's. Visit existing and important landmarks, synagogues, and meet members of the local Jewish community.
- Visit the three synagogues ( two in Vedado, another in Old Havana)
- See Menorah Square, dedicated to the holocaust victims
- The Jewish cemetery in Guanabacoa
- Have a cocktail and admire the unique decor of Hotel Raquel
Service are OFAC compliant under the general license “Support for the Cuban people” 515.574
This tour takes you through the history of the Jewish immigration and presence in Cuba.
We will meet the President of the Jewish Association in Havana who invites you into the synagogue still in use today in Vedado. We will also see another synagogue in Vedado before heading off to visit the cemetery in Guanabacoa to talk about the burial traditions and symbolism displayed throughout the cemetery. After our visit to Guanabacoa we head back to Old Havana and stop in at the Menorah Square to pay tribute to the victims of the holocaust. This square was inaugurated by Fidel Castro in June 2006.
We walk through Old Havana passing by the oldest Sephardic synagogue in Cuba, to arrive at the Hotel Raquel, a tribute to the Hebrew culture and it's ongoing presence in Cuba. This ornate hotel with it's baroque facade hints to a time gone by, when a predominantly Jewish neighbourhood of Old Havana once thrived. After the revolution 95% of the Jewish community left Cuba, but we invite you to experience the legacy left behind.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting point: Focsa Building foyer, Calle 17 between M & N streets, Vedado
- Start time: 9:00 A.M.
- Availability: Monday to Friday (Does not run on Cuban public holidays)
- Finish time: 12:00 P.M.
- Finish point: Hotel Raquel, 263 Mercaderes St, Old Havana
- Language: English or Spanish
- Child policy: Child friendly tour
- Inclusions: Professional English-speaking guide, activities as noted, entrance fees, transport during the tour, 1 cocktail
- Exclusions: Transportation from finish point, food and drinks not specified above, tips/gratuities
DESIGN YOUR OWN TOUR - if you want to design your own private tour for Havana with a set itinerary, contact our experienced operations personnel, and they will be happy to customize a day tour for you!
If you or your small group of friends want to have your own private tour guide on a set itinerary in Havana, these private Havana tours are your best choice. We also have a great deal of experience in catering for passengers on a cruise ship shore excursion. Prices vary depending on how many people in your group.