Guide for a day
Join a group tour
Learn about the colorful and ancient religions that arrived from Africa, and have since flourished in Cuba.
- Tour Callejon de Hamel, a vibrant and artistic alley that is an homage to Afro-Cuban culture
- Visit the gallery of artist Salvador Gonzales Escalona, and learn about the symbolism and imagery of his paintings
- Hear the history and modern practices of Cuba’s unique Afro-Cuban religion
- Enjoy a specialty local cocktail and a visit to the home of Salvador’s family
This tour is OFAC compliant under the general license “Support for the Cuban people” 515.574
The Africans who were enslaved and brought to Cuba not only contributed greatly to the formation of the country, but also the culture. They brought many religions and beliefs, primarily from West Africa. Although the Spaniards forbade their practices, and forced them into Catholicism, the religions of their homeland were too powerful to be extinguished and instead morphed and syncretised to become a new unique religion.
You will learn about the four main religions in Cuba that can trace their roots back to Africa. One of them - Santeria is now the most popular of all religions in Cuba and has a profound impact on Cuban society. Learn about these religions with a specialist local guide, who will show you around the vibrant artistic masterpiece of the late Salvador Gonzales Escalona, a man with a vision of celebrating the cultural contributions and importance of African ancestry to his Central Habana community.
- DURATION: 2 hours
- MINIMUM: This tour requires a minimum of 2 passengers to run
- MEETING POINT: Callejon de Hamel, Centro Havana.
- START TIME: 9.30 A.M.
- AVAILABILITY: Monday to Sunday (Does not run on Jan 01, Dec 25)
- FINISH TIME: 11:30 P.M.
- FINISH POINT: Callejon de Hamel, Centro Havana
- LANGUAGE: English or Spanish
- CHILD POLICY: Child friendly experience
- INCLUSIONS: Professional English-speaking guide, activities as noted, drink
- EXCLUSIONS: Transportation to/from meeting point, food and drinks not specified above, tips/gratuities
WE ARE HONEST AND OPEN - Each tour is guided by one of our expert local Cuban tour guides who can also explain to you some aspects of the Cuban society and culture and tell you about life in Havana. Our local Cuban tour guides are honest in their answers to any questions you have about Cuba and it’s people, history, and politics.
We run these small group tours and shore excursions of Havana every day. There is a set departure time for each tour, and you join a group of up to a total of 12 participants with one of our local Havana guides.