Guide for a day
Join a group tour
Comida Cubana: Cooking experience
Learn how to cook traditional Cuban dishes with a local family
With all the hip gourmet restaurants now popping up all over Havana, there is still nothing like the traditional Cuban flavors of a home cooked meal. This hands-on cooking demonstration will treat you not only to one of the best Cuban meals you’ll experience on your trip, but you’ll come home with the skills to impress you friends and family with your mastery of comida Cubana.
- Visit a local agropecuario (farmers market) and bodega (ration store)
- Learn about the dual currency system and how it affects the Cuban household
- Learn about local foods and how to select the best ingredients
- Hands on demonstration to prepare traditional Cuban dishes
- Enjoy a delicious meal and drink
From our meeting point at La Gargola Guesthouse, a family owned casa particular, we visit nearby farmers markets (agropecuarios) to purchase ingredients for our meal. Our local English-speaking guide will take you on short walk through old Havana to visit the various types of stores that Cubans visit to purchase food, and explain to you the dual currency economy and how the Cuban family navigates the system.
Accompanied by our chef, you’ll learn about local produce and how it is selected and its uses in Cuban cuisine.
With our grocery shopping complete, we’ll return to La Gargola to prepare a delicious meal with our expert cocineras, Tina or Yaya, who season their meals with love and lots of laughs!
Depending on seasonality and availability of ingredients, you’ll learn to make traditional dishes like ropa vieja, fried pork, ajiaco (stew), black beans, tostones, platanos maduros, and yuca con mojo. Finally, you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor – time to eat!
A delicious meal, a mojito or Cuba Libre, and great conversation with your hosts will leave you with happy memories of your stay in Havana. Buen provecho!
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting and Ending point: La Gargola Guesthouse, 82 Calle Cuba (between Cuarteles and Chacon streets), first floor (up the stairs, blue door)
- Start/Finish time: 10:00 A.M - 1:00 P.M OR 3:00 P.M - 6:00 P.M
- Availability: Tuesday to Saturday (Does not run on Jan 01 or Dec 25)
- Language: English or Spanish
- Child policy: Child friendly experience
- Inclusions: Professional English-speaking guide, local chef, meal and drink, printed recipes to take home
- Exclusions: Transportation to and from meeting point, food and drinks not specified above, tips/gratuities
- Group size: Maximum 8
DESIGN YOUR OWN TOUR - if you want to design your own private tour for Havana with a set itinerary, contact our experienced operations personnel, and they will be happy to customize a day tour for you!
If you or your small group of friends want to have your own private tour guide on a set itinerary in Havana, these private Havana tours are your best choice. Prices vary depending on how many people in your group.
Yenni was an excellent guide in Havana and very knowledgeable about Cuban history. She responded well to any request that I had.I also had a one night stay in Vinales where Emilio was my guide. Again he was excellent and very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about local flora and fauna.
It would be impossible to explain this trip- it sounded great in the brochures and was even BETTER! Ares was very knowledgable about historical events in Cuba which I am very interested in as a history teacher (retired) He was passionate about Cuba itself, describing it as "paradise". His love for his country made his comments and the tour in general that much more personal and enjoyable. He was an eloquent, knowledgable, & easy to get along w/ guide. He was accommodating to our wishes, answered all questions, & gave his all to the 3 of us. Very charming introduction to Cuba!Rosi`s place in Havana was lovely. The view from her terrace was beautiful- tr ees and in the distance, the ocean.She went out of her way to make good breakfasts and to speak w/ me even though my Spanish is not very good.
Marcos was amazing. My husband and I really got to experience the night life. We learned so much and had a great time. We will definitely book another tour with you all and request to have Marcos as our guide .