Big Planet Adventures provides tourist services only in Cuba. We've decided to dedicate ourselves exclusively to this one country which, because of it's uniqueness, does require a company with a set-up that is specifically geared to operating here. The first thing you"ll notice when you come to Cuba, is that things work differently in here!
We operate in Cuba through our two main products:
- Cuban Adventures, which operates multi-night tours across the country for small groups.
- Havana Adventures, which concentrates on tour services exclusively in Havana.
At Big Planet Adventures, we operate under specific guidelines created to ensure that our trips promote a positive impact on local environment, culture, and economy.
why choose us
- As a company we now have more than 10 years of experience in providing tourist services in Cuba. Some of the individuals in our team have even more than this. Since we focus exclusively on Cuba, we are true specialists. We don't know much about running tours or providing tourist services in other countries, as we dedicate ourselves to making sure our operations work specifically in Cuba. Its a unique country, so it requires unique systems to be implemented, and our operations are optimised to make sure our services are delivered with the best possible quality, efficiency, and value for money.
- We are a small organization with less than 50 employees so we have a more personalized and intimate relationship with our travelers. This small size also makes us quicker to adapt to changes that are happening on the ground in Cuba.
- We employ solely fully qualified English speaking local tour guides. Many of our tour guides in Havana join our tour company having previously worked for other tour agencies in Havana before they come to us, because we offer better working conditions and pay that many other operators in Havana. Even so, before they are able to work with us, these tour guides are given specific training on our ethical, and interactive style of travel. Our values of responsible travel, respect, and transparency are very important to us, and these values are instilled in our tour guides and admin workers in Havana. All of our tour guides in Cuba are at least bilingual, speaking as a minimum Spanish and English
- We recommend to our clients that they select guesthouse accommodation for their stay in Havana. We believe that it is the best choice of accommodation in Cuba for foreign travelers and tourists, because it provides a more authentic and interactive experience with local Cubans, because it supports small locally run businesses, and because the level of service is actually superior to the more expensive government run hotels and vastly more personalized. We have our own network of private guesthouses in Havana. These are carefully selected and we maintain a close relationship with the guesthouse owners who we most regularly work with to provide them feedback, suggestions, support, and in some cases, micro loans to help them improve their facilities and levels of comfort. Selection criteria and points of improvement that we most focus on in the guesthouses in Havana are cleanliness, comfort, convenience of location, safety, local atmosphere, and most of all customer service.
sustainable tourism practices
- Making a positive contribution to the world is close to our heart and something that takes an integral place in everything we do. We make all efforts to support local individuals and locally owned businesses in Havana and to find more sustainable and environmentally friendly ways to go about our business in Cuba. We have a full membership with the Responsible Travel organisation and the International Ecotourism Society.
home office practices
- Our head office in Australia is a shared work space. This enables us to share office facilities such as printers and meeting rooms, which is a more efficient use of resources. The office is close to a metro station, and all of our head office staff either walk to work or use public transportation. We support the ongoing efforts of the recycling industry and use recycled products whenever we can.
contribution to charity
We are regular donators to these humanitarian organisations...
- Medecins Sans Frontieres
- Save the Children
meet the team
8 staff members
YenniHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Yenni is one of our specialist Havana guides who also guides some of our multi-night tours for Cuban Adventures. Yenni is a lovely person with an outgoing personality and friendly demeanor. She enjoys meeting people from around the world and learning about their country and cultures.
RolandoHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Rolando is an extremely intelligent and eloquent guide who has a broad knowledge of everything Havana, although he is particularly passionate about Architecture and Photography. He is one of the best people to ask about the Cuban politics and a gives a fantastic explanation of how the informal economy works in Cuba.
ArmandoHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Armando is one of our most outstanding guides who has an impressive depth of knowledge. He has also proven to be a dynamic and enterprising team member by being the designer of quite a few of our tour itineraries around Havana. He is a very sociable person, loves meeting new people, and is a keen photographer.
DayanaHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Dayana is one of our most reliable guides of our Havana Day Tours. She has the same dedication to managing big groups of up to 50 cruise ship visitors, as she does with a group of 2 on a specialized day tour itinerary. Her natural charm and friendliness, along with her knowledge of all things Havana, are an unfailing combination.
LazaroHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
If you are lucky enough to have Lazaro as your Havana tour guide you are guaranteed to not only have a great time, but to be enriched with some fascinating knowledge of Havana, its history, and current situation. Lazaro is an extremely charming and jovial person who loves his job so much he says he would do the job for free!
MarcosHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Marcos has a personality tailor-made for tour guiding. His natural charisma and enthusiasm, ability to listen and communicate makes him a joy for our tour participants as he shows them to his favorite places around Havana. Marcos started guiding for us on our Comida Cubana food and culinary experience, and made the tour such a success we decided to unleashed him on many of our other Havnana day tours.
YummetHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Yummet consistently receives glowing praise from her guests. She is a dedicated and brilliant guide that takes pride in her country and her work and we are very grateful to count her as one of our team.
FrankHavana Tour Guide - CUBA
Frank is another impressive member of our local Havana tour guide team. He speaks several languages and has a wide range of interests and a depth of knowledge in many different fields. He has a great sense of humor, loves any sort of sport, and to discover new places.
1 staff member
SarahSales Manager - USA
Sarah manages our team of 4 full-time sales staff that are located in different places around the globe. She also manages our office in the US and is a specialist in legal travel to Cuba for Americans. Like all of our other sales personnel she came in contact with our organisation by first being one of our clients and travelling to Cuba on one of our tours. Since then she has realised her goal working fulltime in assisting fellow Americans to legally visit Cuba at an affordable price, and helping the company hugely in the process by helping us gain access to this important market for travel to Cuba.Sarah is a determined and energetic worker and we are blessed with her enthusiasm and vivacity.
5 staff members
John AhrensDirector - AUS
John's interest in Cuba first came about through his love and fascination with Cuban music. He first visited Cuba in 2002. His initial interest in Latin America came through a 1 year exchange to Bolivia in 1990. After starting a career as an Environmental Engineer he decided to follow his passion and travel and work in Latin America, which he did so from 1997 to 2005 before starting the company in 2005.
Clarita DerwentGeneral Manager - AUS
Clarita's passion for travel started with a trip to Japan as an exchange student when she was 15. She has since travelled to many countries, however the place that she most fell in love with was Cuba, and in particular the city of Santiago de Cuba where she lived and studied for a period, prior to joining Big Planet Adventures in 2008. Clarita's training and experience is predominantly in The Arts, and Event Management. She has since added qualifications in Tourism and Tour Management. Apart from Cuban culture, her other passions are music and the arts, and social and environmental fairness.
KireniaOperations Manager - CUBA
Kirenia is a much loved member of our team in part for having taken on the important and rather complex responsibility of managing our local operations in Cuba. From her base in Havana, she coordinates with verve, sensibility and determination the many facets of our tour operations in a country where things rarely work as they should, and where systems often function in directions contrary to normal logic and rationale.
MarianeFinancial Manager - AUS
Mariane manages the company's finances and accounts which includes the sometimes burdensome task of ensuring the flow of funds to Cuba for us to be able to provide the services to our travellers on the ground in Cuba. She graduated as an accountant in her hometown of Sao Paulo in Brazil before travelling to Australia to improve her English. Luckily for us she stayed and we now benefit from her hard work and virtues of scrupulous diligence and integrity.
YanetHavana Tour Manager - CUBA
Yanet has proven to be an extremely capable manager of our local tour operation in Havana. In fact she won an international prize for being an outstanding local manager of one of our other Havana day tour products that we operate for another agency. She is a very energetic and enthusiastic person with a sparkling smile. She doesn't want to give up the contact with travelers from all over the world so she still guides the occasional Havana day tour to keep her in touch with things on the ground in Havana.
We really enjoyed having Ares as our guide. He was always punctual and organized and had some nice suggestions for us. His knowledge and enthusiasm was also excellent and we enjoyed getting to know him.
Yanniel really made Havana special for me and my fellow travelers. He arranged excellent tours and activities (e.g., walking tour, classic car tour, Buena Vista Social Club). He also knew how to find great restaurants that were not flooded with tourists. His English is excellent - which was very helpful since none of my fellow travelers spoke Spanish, and he was very thoughtful and helpful throughout our time in Havana. Yanniel is the main reason why I will recommend your company to my friends and colleagues. Thanks for making our visit so informative and fun!Breakfast in the Particular was always big and tasty. We had terrific meals throughout our stay in Havana.
Willmar was amazing! He was such a wealth of knowledge regarding Cuba and its history. He brought me to places in Havana that were off the beaten track. He was attentive, responsible, enthusiastic and took care of all my travel requests. I could not have asked for a better guide! I would recommend him to any of my friends visiting Cuba next.The Casa I stayed in in Havana was brilliant. The host was friendly and helpful. The casa was clean and pleasant.My favourite was the drive in the vintage car on the Malecon till the Fort.The view from the Fort in the evening was gorgeous!Your team was very responsive to all my questions and needs. I was also very impressed that Willmar turned up as he should and I didn`t have to recheck and reconfirm bookings. Everything happened and people showed up as should be. Do keep up the good work! Especially in the recruitment of such great guides!
Yenni was an excellent guide in Havana and very knowledgeable about Cuban history. She responded well to any request that I had.I also had a one night stay in Vinales where Emilio was my guide. Again he was excellent and very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about local flora and fauna.
It would be impossible to explain this trip- it sounded great in the brochures and was even BETTER! Ares was very knowledgable about historical events in Cuba which I am very interested in as a history teacher (retired) He was passionate about Cuba itself, describing it as "paradise". His love for his country made his comments and the tour in general that much more personal and enjoyable. He was an eloquent, knowledgable, & easy to get along w/ guide. He was accommodating to our wishes, answered all questions, & gave his all to the 3 of us. Very charming introduction to Cuba!Rosi`s place in Havana was lovely. The view from her terrace was beautiful- tr ees and in the distance, the ocean.She went out of her way to make good breakfasts and to speak w/ me even though my Spanish is not very good.
Celia Regina Mendes da Silva
Muito agradecido a Ana Paula e Johny pelo incrível tour por Cuba. Atenciosos, gentis e conhecedores da historia de Cuba. Havana é uma cidade incrível. Ouvir um som não La Bodeguita, um passeio no Malecon, uma visita ao Museu da Revolução são imprescindíveis. Conhecer Santa Clara, uma cidade encantadora de Trinidad e visitar uma fazenda de tabaco na cidade de Vinales são especialmente magníficos. Enfim, pretendo voltar a Cuba e novamente com a Havana Adventures, que eu recomendo muito!
Fill in this form to post your review